Monday, April 28, 2008

Transit loungers



The term 'transit loungers' (borrowed from Pico Iyer) refers to the class of people who are entangled between multicultural identities .(My roomies refer to a friend of us as "Cultural Shock " hehe ). Iyer suggested this to denote the set of people who end up spending a lot of time catching international flights , waiting at the transit lounges . They don't have any affinity towards any particular nationality , but feel quite comfortable eating Pizzas and burgers ( or even trying out Chinese dishes with chopsticks ), listening to Bryan Adams , watching Hollywood movies and thinking of English as an international passport. Well , I still believe that I don't belong to one of them.But what made me think about this is the recent conversation that I had with my cousin who is in Indian Airforce .I was talking to him after a long while and he asked a simple question "Are you still a desi ? Or have you embraced the new culture ? ". I replied assertively saying that I am , and will always be a Mallu (hehe , the identity which I love to cherish ).
But afterwards this made me think a bit deep . " Do I have any right to be one ? ".....Like any pravasi Malayalee ( the denizens of Kerala ), I too wear the traditional dress on Onam and Vishu , and still vehemently talk , rather argue about CPI (M) , Malayalam lyrics and the desi mindset and all that . But that doesn't entitle me to be a proper Desi or Mallu .
Dreams and ambitions took me a long way out of the place where I was born and now I think the attachment for my hometown is only because my parents are still there . For me , home is where my mom is .. well thats true . Once when I was in Bangalore , she was hospitalized in Cochin and I rushed to the hospital and stayed with her there for the entire 3 days when she was there . Not because my house was quite far from the hospital , but I felt that is where my home is !!! So if at all my parents come down to this alien country to stay with me , will I lose the touch with God's Own country ? Something that experience should tell me .
My friends over here have now developed this habit of listening to Malayalam poetry online .Thanks to www.nishaunni.com and Vishnu , who introduced us to this website . When I listen to the lyrics of Vyloppilli and Vayalar , I feel that I have lost a lot of things when I embraced Information Technology . Well , technology has its benefits . It has taken us close to the long lost lyrics through these poems now .While I was in Kerala , I never used to listen fully to these lines , but now they sound far far better . May be I am not a transit lounger yet .... I am still at the domestic lounge :-)
PS : The cousin who talked to me , Manoj chettan , is heading to Kashmir now , his next posting . He told me that 'Dahl Lake' would be awesome . He told me that his posting is 11,000 feet above the sea level , and mountains look wonderful from there. He told me that life could be really adventurous there . He told me not to be a transit lounger and come back ....

4 comments:

Soumya said...

Hey kk, I feel you have gone a long distance. All the best for the rest of the journey :) And it never matters where u r as long as you are what u r :-)

Alpine Path said...

That's true! I sometimes wonder about it too... But then, that is the price we pay for all the comforts that we enjoy now. Succintly put! And good luck to your cousin for his assignment.

Alpine Path said...

Eda!! Tagged you. Once you are done with your 'kids' and their grading, do fill it up :D

Joey said...

well I guess all of are transit loungers in some way or the other..waiting at one terminus to catch the other shuttle..some to catch life , some to catch money , to time , to love , to relationships..always waiting..waiting to grow up...waiting to shave..waiting to get out of debts..waiting for the weekend to start..waiting to meet the "right " person...waiting for the next "sensex" rise..waiting to buy the latest gizmo..waiting for the next pay-check..waiting to win wars..waiting to love..waiting to be loved..waiting to find a jackpot..waiting to have a baby..waiting to grow older..all the while in the TRANSIT LOUNGE to catch something...However , in all this---we forget to live Life ! lets stop waiting..This is our Life..This is our moment ..This is it !Its begun..DONT WAIT !!
As they say--Life happens when u r busy making other plans.
No need to be at the TRANSIT LOUNGE/...
U R already on ur way and doing good to ur destination.
:-)